Remedial works to double basement, Notting Hill
18 February 2022
Newton were approached by the desperate client at this large terraced property in Notting Hill, having had a second basement level excavated beneath the existing basement and the front and rear gardens.
Unfortunately, bad waterproofing design and workmanship meant the basement had flooded immediately upon completion – the builder ceased trading and, following a legal case, the architect and structural engineer were found culpable.
Newton recommended an experienced specialist contractor in order to assess the failure and propose a comprehensive solution.
The experts at the specialist contractor identified a litany of issues, from the weak, permeable structure to the lack of continuous waterproofing between levels, the inadequate pumping system, the blocked cavity drain system, and the non-existent external deck waterproofing and drainage, amongst others.
Once structural reinforcing works had taken place, the waterproofing contractors proceeded by:
- Reinforcing dry pack joints with HydroSeal 313-WP and HydroSeal 103 2K
- Sealing voids and structural weaknesses with Newton Injection Resins
- Preparing all internal surfaces before spraying HydroSeal 103 2K
- Adhering insulation beneath soffits, providing an integral vapour barrier
- Installing a full Newton CDM System with a dedicated Titan-Pro sump chamber, dual NP750 pumps and Victron battery backup protection
- Waterproofing both decks with Newton’s liquid primers and membranes, overlaid and protected by a NewSeal 408 DeckDrain membrane
The waterproofing contractor delivered an exceptional waterproofing design and installation for the client, who now has a watertight and guaranteed two-level basement beneath their home, that they can enjoy in full for the first time in many years.
Download the case study PDF.